Wednesday, June 8, 2011

{ Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton }




Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton


Feb 15, 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers


Format: ebook




From Goodreads:




First there are nightmares.




Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.




Then come the memories.




When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's powers, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was a dream.




Now she must hunt.




Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.




My review:




This is a hard review for me to write. The first 50 pages or so I was so excited. I connected with the story and the characters right away and felt that this was going to be an amazing ride. However, it was just okay for me. It kind of fizzled and just left me longing for something more, something was missing. I can't really put my finger on it and say for sure what it was. It was just, okay.




The two main characters Ellie and Will had great chemistry and were very enjoyable. Ellie has a lot to deal with as she learns who she really is and what she really is. Most of the time I found her character to be quite believable, but there were times that it was all a little force and rushed for me. Will too was quite believable most of the time, but he too at times felt a little inconsistent. I realize that he had some inner struggles that he was dealing with, but at times I just found the core of his character too conflicting. I found most of Ellie's friends to be just fluff and not too much substance for me. Ellie's mother was interesting and definitely had some depth to her. I look forward to seeing where her character goes in the next book. Now. Ellie's father. I am not too sure about this character. The man is evil and scary and I was expecting something important to come from this character. But nothing ever happened. I am left with a lot questions and perhaps they will be answered in the next book. But I am just left with an overwhelming feeling of...well, nothing really. I kind of lost all connection for these characters and the story.




In the end? Would I recommend it? If you are fan of paranormal, angels and the Fallen? Then yes, give it a read and see for yourself. I know many readers/reviewers have loved this book. I am not saying I did not like it, I am just left feeling very underwhelmed. I will definitely read the next book in the series. I just hope that it packs more of a punch.




Rating: 3.5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry you were disappointed by this read. I've read mixed reviews on this one and don't really know what to think, if I would enjoy it or not. Ultimately, if I can find time for it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed in this one as well and I gave it an even lower rating.

    I expected something to be reveled about her father as well.

    ReplyDelete