Sunday, January 29, 2012

{ White Horse by Alex Adams }

April 17, 2012 by Emily Bestler Books
Source: Simon and Schuster Canada
Format: Paperback ARC copy
From Goodreads:

White Horse is the first book in an absolutely unique debut trilogy—a post-apocalyptic thriller chronicling one woman’s quest to nurture those she holds dear against the backdrop of a shocking, new world.

Thirty-year-old Zoe leads an ordinary life until the end of the world arrives. She is cleaning cages and floors at Pope Pharmaceuticals when the President of the United States announces that human beings are no longer a viable species.

When Zoe realizes that everyone she loves is disappearing, she starts running. Scared and alone in a shockingly changed world, she embarks on a remarkable journey of survival and redemption.

Along the way, Zoe comes to see that humans are not defined by their genetic code, but rather by their actions and choices. White Horse offers hope for a broken world, where love can lead to the most unexpected places.

My Review:

First off. Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for the opportunity to read and review White Horse. After reading the synopsis, I knew this was something I could devour. I have become a huge lover of all things Dystopian. However, this was not quite at all what I was expecting. For some reason I was under the impression that this was a YA book. Not. Anyone use to reading reviews of mine, this is not a YA book. If you are easily offended by language, violence and gore, be forewarned. This is probably not a book for you.

I will admit that in the beginning, I was not sure how I felt about the narration. While I did enjoy Zoe's voice throughout this book, I found myself a bit overwhelmed. Zoe's story bounces back and forth from past to present and the author's writing was at times a bit over done. Perhaps a bit too flowery for my taste. However, the story was so intoxicating that I was able to overlook these minor distractions.

Zoe is such a strong character with just the right amount of snarkiness to suit me. When we meet her she has already been through so much heart break in her life. Then her life and the world around her begins to crumble in an even more devastating and destructive way. Not only is White Horse a Dystopian, but it is filled with mystery, suspense, horror and at it's core, a love story.

Yes, there are a number of very disturbing, shockingly horrific scenes. Author Alex Adams has created one of the most terrifying, psychotic characters I have read to date. The Swiss, is...well, if you like your evil to be truly evil, you will not be disappointed in this character!

The ending of book one in this new trilogy left me wanting more, but without an annoying cliffhanger. In the end, I would definitely recommend this one. Just be prepared to be shocked and horrified, yet left with a feeling of joy and hope. Well done, Alex Adams!
Rating: 4 stars!

1 comment:

  1. Hadn't heard of this one. Sounds quite interesting! And hurray for no cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete