Tuesday, February 28, 2012

{ The Death Cure by James Dashner }

October 11, 2011 by Delacorte Press
Format: ebook
From Goodreads:
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.
What Wicked doesn't know is that somethings happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
My Review:
I first have to say that this was an outstanding series. I loved every minute of this journey. Again, another great addition to the world of YA Dystopian and another great series for those male reluctant readers in your life.
The first book, The Maze Runner, took me by surprise. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. The second book, The Scorch Trials, blew me away. I am not sure what I was expecting with The Death Cure. While I enjoyed it, it did not blow me away like The Scorch Trials did. The first two books were filled with so much action, so much character depth on individual levels and on all relationship levels. I found The Death Cure, to be lacking somewhat for me. Okay, yes there was still a lot of action, but it just felt different and not with the same intensity.
With all that aside? I still enjoyed it. Thomas is a great main character. He is easy to like. He is real, flawed and I think we see him grow a lot throughout this series. Thomas is also surrounded by great characters. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Some lovable. Newt, Newt, Newt...forever in my heart! Some so very frustrating. Teresa, Teresa, Teresa...one of my unanswered questions.
James Dashner has an incredible talent. He is a master of creating a story that draws you in. The kind of story that keeps you turning those pages. Wanting more. And when you get it? Wanting even more. And that is exactly what he did. While the ending may have left me with more questions than answers? I am happy with the way in which this journey has come to an end. Although...James Dashner, if you are listening? I would not be against another series. I am not sure I am quite ready to let these characters go...just saying...
Rating: 4 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Tracy, you are the one who turned me on to this series and I love you for that. Great ending to a great adventure. And I second you on asking for more. I miss Newt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I've never read these yet! Probably related to how little time I have to fit it in. You make it sound so good though that I know I would love it!

    ReplyDelete