Sunday, April 29, 2012

{ The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter }


April 19, 2011 by Harlequin
Format: ebook



From Goodreads:

EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN.

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...




My Review:

During the release of this book, there was a lot of hype in the book blogging world. I added it to my ever growing list of books to read like everyone else. I must say that enjoyed it. Now, I'm not sure that I loved it as much as some readers, but it is certainly a fun, light read. I will admit that I am not up on my Greek Mythology and really know very little. However, that aside, I felt like this book was more of a YA romance with a little Greek Mythology referenced. I would have expected these characters to be a little more dynamic, ruthless and in your face...I mean, they are Greek Gods! However, I realize that you have to put all that aside and take this book for what it truly is. Plain and simple. A YA romance. I would say it was enjoyable. Enough so that I look forward to the next book. I enjoyed the world building within the Goddess Test. It definitely takes on a whole new look at the afterlife and death. In that aspect this book is really quite good. Author Aimee Carter did a fantastic job of putting a different spin on it. Although, I do admit to being left a bit dazed and confused in the end...still not sure if that's good or bad.

Lets talk Characters. Kate. I really did enjoy Kate quite a bit. She's strong and loyal to the bone. Okay, maybe perhaps she has some issues. She has been living through her teenage life, basically waiting for her mother to die. So she really has not lived a normal life and been in a situation to fully grown into herself. Not that most teenagers know who they are or what they want to be, but for Kate it's been even more of a struggle.

Then we have Henry. I really want to like Henry and I do. However, I felt conflicted most of the time with Henry. I get it. He is this strong silent type. He is a tortured soul...if he had one? But at times, it got a little annoying. I will admit, there were certainly times when I got Henry, though. Enough so that I truly have high hopes for him in the coming books. I just felt a real conflict through most of this book. I wanted to love it, but there were many YA cliches that just brought it down a few notches for me. I truly felt that Kate's love for Henry was forced...another case of instant love. Okay maybe not instant, but close. There were other enjoyable characters, but with the ending of this book...well, I am not too sure how I feel about these characters now.

In the end, I would recommend The Goddess Test to those who enjoy YA romance. Looking for a great Mythology based story? You probably want to skip this one.

Rating: 3 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting story, but it also sounds like I might be disappointed in it since I DO like Greek mythology stories. Maybe I should pass on it for now. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great review. I'm on the fence about this one, but I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete