Sunday, August 21, 2011

{ Eve by Anna Carey }



October 4, 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers


Source: NetGalley


Format: ARC ebook




From Goodreads:



Where do you go when nowhere is safe?

Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth’s population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school’s real purpose—and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust . . . and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve’s timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.

My Review:


One of the great pleasures I get from reading is finding THAT book. The one that comes out of nowhere and catches you by surprise. Yes, I requested this book from NetGalley. I knew what it was about. But to be honest, I was not expecting a lot. I had seen some reviews and they ones I had read were not all that encouraging. You know what? I totally fell for this book and these characters right from chapter one. Anna Carey has written a phenomenal Dystopian that I completely devoured. The writing in this book left me breathless, sad, happy, VERY teary at times, hopeful, giddy...the point is? Anna Carey did exactly what I crave in a book. I felt EVERYTHING these characters felt and so much more.


Eve was a character that I could easily connect with. She has spent almost her entire life within the walls of the School. She has grown up being told that men are evil and not to be trusted. All men except for the King. On the eve of her graduation she learns the truth about her world and what her future actually holds. The truth is so terrifyingly horrific, she decides to run away into the wild. With the aide of a secret someone, she is told of a place out West - Califia - where they will take in orphan girls and protect them. And so Eve's journey begins. I love how Eve grows throughout the book. She stays true to who she is, but grows as a woman and as a human. The relationship with Arden was a great addition to this journey. Even though Arden is tough at times, deep down I always knew she was a good person. She definitely added some great conflicts and funny moments for me.


Okay. Here it is. We now have to talk about Caleb. First off. Just the name, Caleb, gets my heart beating faster. I have always had a thing for the name. And he totally lives up to the name. Can you say hot, hot, hot? Yes, Caleb found his way into my heart right from the very first sight of him. Caleb is not only hot, but confident. Not overly, not in your face. He makes you feel safe, taken care of. Oh wait. I mean, Eve. He takes care of Eve. Caleb is strong and so very protective of those he cares about. The connection between Eve and Caleb was perfect. Some have said that they thought Eve was not as wary of Caleb and men in general considering the way she was raised. However, I did not feel that way at all. She had a lot of inner apprehension, but she also was forced into the realization that what she knew to be true was all a lie. And meeting Caleb was definitely the perfect way to sway her!


There has been a lot of talk about comparisons to Twilight. Huh? I don't get that at all! To me, there is 0 comparisons. Also, many have said that this is a Wither rip-off and a bad one. Well, maybe the reason I loved Eve so much is that I was not a fan of Wither. In the end, I completely recommend this book to all Dystopian lovers. If you love characters you can instantly connect with, and love an amazing couple to root for? Go pick up a copy of Eve when it hits bookshelves. Oh, and? Just a little warning. Author Anna Carey has left us with a heart wrenching cliffhanger!


Rating: 5 stars!


2 comments:

  1. I too have read some less than positive reviews for this one... but I'm really pleased to read what you had to say for this one in your review! I had initially written this one off but maybe I'll give this one a go afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually the first review of Eve I've read. I'm going to have to check it out for myself for sure. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

    Megan @ Read It, See It

    ReplyDelete