Thursday, April 14, 2011

{ The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan }

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan


March 2009 by Delacorte Press


Source: Library




From Goodreads:




In Mary's world there are simple truths.




The Sisterhood always knows best.


The Guardians will protect and serve.


The Unconsecrated will never relent.


And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from The Forest of Hands and Teeth.




But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and it's secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future-between the one she loves and the one who loves her.




And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?




My review:




Since I started my journey into the realm of YA Paranormal and Dystopian, this book keeps popping up. I finally got around to reading it and I must say, I devoured it! This was my first experience with the whole zombie world. Every time I come across a book and realize that it involves zombies, I usually turn the other way. I am so glad that I gave this one a chance. I loved it! Why? I have always said that a good book...to me...should make me feel something. And this one made me feel many things. Yes, it is scary and terrifying. Yes, it is suspenseful and thrilling. Yes, it is heartbreaking and beautiful. It has a little of everything.




I have read many reviews that complained about Mary, the main character, being too selfish and unlikeable. Not! Look at what this girl has lived with. She is surrounded by death on a daily basis. She is being watched by the Sisterhood...which is super creepy and scary and I absolutely loved - Sister Tabitha is the Queen of Creepy/Scary! Mary has every right to some hope in her life and to go after it. Okay, so maybe some people got dragged along with her on this quest for the truth. But seriously? It wasn't like their alternative was all that appealing.




The relationships between Mary, Travis, Harry and Cass were all very believable and perfect in my opinion. I loved all of them and the development of these characters throughout the story. And of course the addition of Argos, the dog, was perfect. Any great story has to have a dog in my opinion. :0)




There were a ton of great scenes in this one. And a few jaw dropping ones that I will say took me by surprise and had me running for the Kleenex! I had no issues with the ending as some readers have. I know there are more books, so I am looking forward to seeing where this story goes from here. If you are a little leery of jumping into a zombie book? Try this one out. I promise you will not be sorry. There is so much more to it than just zombies. It is a story of love, death and hope. I loved it!! And now I am off to find The Dead - Tossed Waves and The Dark and Hollow Places!!




Rating: 5 stars!




I love this book trailer...check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment