Friday, May 13, 2011

{ The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan }



March 22, 2011 by Random House Children's Books


Source - ebook



From Goodreads:



There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters. Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different than the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.


But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah: can she continue to live in a world covered in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?



My Review:



What are my first thoughts on this final installment of The Forest of Hands and Teeth Trilogy? I adored it! This was by far my favorite of the three. Not only is the story well developed but these characters? Incredible!



Move over Jace and Clary! Annah and Catcher are amazing. These two have become one of my favorite YA couples. Not only are they great together, but on their own they are strong, sensitive, loving and believable! I was brought to tears many times during this story. Carrie Ryan has a gift for delving into the human soul and getting to the core of her characters. As a reader you truly get the sense of how much inner turmoil these two struggle with. Catcher is on the brink between the living and the dead. We feel his loneliness as a result of being an Immune. We truly get a glimpse at his inner rage and fear of becoming a monster and turning those he loves into the unconsecrated. On the other side we see Annah's loneliness and the inner hatred and shame as a result of her scars.



This book is also filled with those great characters that we love to hate. Ox, Conall and all the Recruiters on the Island are true, true evil. Some of the things that take place are bone chilling and heartbreaking.



However, aside from all the death and destruction? A message of love and hope. Carrie Ryan has earned a spot at the top of my favorite author list. I can not wait to devour everything she writes in the future. My only complaint? I ache for more of Annah and Catcher!



You could read this as a stand alone, however, you would be missing out. I wholeheartedly recommend this book and this series!



Rating: 5 stars!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes. You know I felt the same way. Carrie Ryan has a talent for making me feel so strongly about her writing and I can't wait to see what she does next! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one to and really the whole series, I can't wait to find out what she does next! :)

    ReplyDelete