Friday, May 27, 2011

{ Divergent by Veronica Roth }






May 3, 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers


Format: Ebook




From Goodreads:




In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue - Candor(the honest), Abnegation(the selfless), Dauntless(the brave), Amity(the peaceful) and Erudite(the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is - she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.




During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are - and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves...or it might destroy her.




My Review:




One of the biggest draws to a book is how it makes me feel. Strong characters are also a deal breaker. If I can not relate to the main characters there is nothing holding me there. Divergent came through on all levels and more. I love this book! OMG! I mean I really loved this book! This is most definitely my favorite read of 2011 thus far.




These characters are amazing. I think of Tris as my secret inner self. Or I should say my secret alternate universe self. You know. The one where I am brave and strong and adventurous. She is small, yet strong, focused, brave, loving, selfless and she has some pretty cool tattoos. Through her rigorous and often terrifying Dauntless training, we see her grown and blossom into this kick-butt heroine. Then there is Four. Four...Four...Four. My heart belongs to Four. I am a 40yr old mother of two and I am not ashamed to admit it! Four is this amazing, strong, brave, intense, damaged, loving, intelligent, funny, sexy and fearless...almost...man...okay, young man. But yes. He really is all that and so much more.




There is so much intensity within the pages of this book and so much I could talk about. However, I don't like to include spoilers in my reviews. I will say this though? One of my favorite moments, is the knife throwing scene. The intensity of that stare between Tris and Four was brilliantly brought to life by Veronica Roth. I was inside Tris's head. I could feel the air, the looks and the inner realization of what her selflessness had brought her to. Brilliant! This is where my love of Four and Tris was born.




While Tris and Four are amazing, there are many other characters who deserve just as much praise. There are always those characters that we love to hate. Eric...the main Dauntless trainer...and Peter...one of Tris's fellow initiates...are the perfect villains. These two have evil running through their veins. Tris's two closest friends, Christina and Will were also among my favorites. These two provided many funny, touching and heartbreaking moments for me.




This dystopian world created by Veronica Roth, really worked for me. It was believable as were these characters. If you are a fan of YA Dystopian and are tired of the mind numbing love triangles? Then grab a copy today! Go! Now! I plan to read this one over and over again until book #2 comes out!




Rating: 5+!!

1 comment:

  1. Wee! Just finished this one myself and love it too!! So awesome! haha, I loved Four too :)

    ReplyDelete